Sunday, November 7, 2010

Scriptures answer Prayers........week 77

It has been another crazy week in the office. Many days we have little time in the area. I feel like serving the Lord has never been so exhausting haha. But I feel great. I wake up with tired eyes but in good spirits everyday because this is His work and not mine.

At times, I have felt a lot like Alma when he desired to preach the gospel as an angel without stopping…

“ O that I were an angel, and could have the wish of mine heart, that I might go forth and speak with the a trump of God, with a voice to shake the earth, and cry repentance unto every people!” (Alma 29:1)

But just as he did, I have to realize that I have certain responsibilities to attend to and that I need to do what the Lord asks of me.

I felt prompted to read this chapter last night in the Book of Mormon as I was fighting with these thoughts, I felt comforted by verse 10:

“And behold, when I see many of my brethren truly penitent, and coming to the Lord their God, then is my soul filled with joy; then do I remember a what the Lord has done for me, yea, even that he hath heard my prayer; yea, then do I remember his merciful arm which he extended towards me.”

Seeing people change their own lives helps me remember when I changed mine. It helps me remember when I have had the remission of my sins and when I have felt the joy that only comes through obedience to the laws of the gospel.

I know that our Heavenly Father lives. He desires the very best for us and has given us commandments so that we might achieve the joy that comes with obedience to these established laws. I know that Jesus Christ is our redeemer and Savior. He has made it possible for all of us to change, me included. This is His church and Thomas S. Monson is His prophet today. I am thankful for what He teaches through the scriptures. They console us in our hardest times and they truly answer our questions.

This week I had a surprise call from the zone leaders from Las Palmas. They called to tell me that they were about to marry and baptize a family that we had found in Las Palmas before I was transferred. I remember the way the spirit directed us to contact that family and how we literally had to turn backwards after having passed by their house to talk with them. They came the next day to church and then I was transferred. It wasn’t until this week that I heard more news of them. The Lord really does know who is ready. We just need to be prepared. We need to be ready.

Thank you all for your prayers. They strengthen my spirit always. You are always in my prayers as well.

Elder Russell


Bishop's birthday