Monday, November 30, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving...that we might give thanks........week 29

Hey there family!

I spent the majority of the time just reading all of the emails. Thanks for always writing me and for keeping me in your thoughts. This week was a very special week for me. I feel very blessed.

At the beginning of this week I felt a lot of opposition. I was kind of worried. “Why is everything going so hard right now? I thought.” We had a hard time finding new people this week. A lot of appointments fell through and my companion even said that he was feeling a bit down. But as we talked it over, I realized that I wasn´t being grateful for what God was giving me. Being the Thanksgiving season, I should have known better than to not give thanks to my Father in Heaven for everything He gives me in the work. I have a companion who wants to work. I have an area that is growing. I love the members and the members seem to appreciate the work we do. The members want to work and they are giving us references. I am of good health and my family across the miles supports me. I am so grateful. I went to bed with the spirit of repentance and I woke up a different missionary. Everything seemed better. I don’t know if much changed really. The only thing that changed was me!

I now understand the importance of having an eternal perspective. I love the work and I am so grateful for the opportunities He gives me here in Nicaragua. I had so many blessings this week. For example, of all the missionaries in Nicaragua, I think I was the only one who was able to taste turkey and pumpkin pie this week. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that that would happen here, seeing as no one even knows what pumpkin pie is- well, that is unless you have an American family in your ward! Score! It was awesome. The family invited us over on Sunday night for leftovers along with prespective elders from the ward who are planning or thinking about going on missions. We talked about the mission that Brother Black went on and of course, we had pie. Mmmmm. So don’t worry mom! I felt your cooking across the miles (well at least almost as good as your cooking).

On top of that a few other people invited us to lunch and we were able to feel the blessings of heaven pouring out upon us.

My letter is short today but I just want you all to know that I love you and that I am so grateful to my Heavenly Father for the opportunities that He has given me. I can see the hand of Him in your lives. Congrats Tyler on the Job! I am super excited for you! I love you all and just remember that God blesses us with so much. Many times we just don’t recognize His hand in all things. Just be happy! I love you and will continue to pray for you! Happy Thanksgiving!

Elder Grant Russell